Fast And Easy Falafel Lentil Loaf.

9 Jul

Yeah, this recipe does have a lot of letter “L’s” in it. Rest assured, they will all stand for “love” once  you taste this dish. This has been a staple dinner recipe in my home for quite a while, for a few reasons:

1. It’s simple to make.
  2. It’s inexpensive.
  3. There are always leftovers to enjoy the next day.
  4. It’s healthy.
  5. It’s filling.

The ingredients are most likely things you’ll have around your kitchen anyway. I always check to make sure I have the basic components (canned lentils, jarred roasted red peppers, falafel mix) in the pantry at all times.

It’s really great on those nights when reality hits. Those times you barely got yourself home from work and somehow forgot that you still need food before the evening is through. (It’s also really great on those nights when you plan ahead for it, too.)

Basically, you throw the seven ingredients in a bowl. Form that mixture into a loaf and put it in the oven. Wait a short while and dinner is served! It’s not hard. It’s super easy food for times when life is hard/annoying/too fast.

How To Make:

(serves up to 4)

Ingredients:

• 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
  • 6 ounces falafel mix
  • 1 can lentils, rinsed
  • 1 small red onion, chopped
  • 2 cups of chopped baby spinach
  • 1 12-ounce(ish) jar roasted red peppers, cut to 1/2″ pieces. Reserve 2 Tbs. of liquid from jar.
  • 2 eggs
Recipe:

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, including the 2 tbs of liquid from pepper jar. Mix well.

Form into a loaf on baking sheet with aluminum foil or other non-stick layer.

Bake in preheated oven set at 375° for 35-40 minutes.

Eat on its own, or combine with a fresh vegetable or other side dish. This also goes really great with this easy to make peanut sauce recipe!

12 Responses to “Fast And Easy Falafel Lentil Loaf.”

1. jumpingpolarbear July 9, 2012 at 20:32 #

Looks good. I want a bite :).

2. highschoolfoodie July 9, 2012 at 20:43 #

This looks really good I am not a vegetarian but I love to do meatless meals like this. Thanks for sharing…just bookmarked!

• matthew July 9, 2012 at 20:48 #

I’m not a vegetarian either, but I really don’t mind this dish. Probably because it tastes pretty great and has cheese in it. Thanks for reading!

3. Clementine July 9, 2012 at 21:27 #

I’m so making these. What would be a decent non-cheese substitute? Also, please tell me about those brussels!!

• matthew July 9, 2012 at 22:58 #

You could try a vegan cheese…or perhaps mushrooms cut up chunky. And the brussels sprouts! I halved and quartered them (depending on their size) and I cooked them at the same time as the lentil loaf. I just cut up some garlic, and tossed in some olive oil, salt and pepper. I mixed them once during the 40 minutes they were cooking. They rocked.

4. Little Sis July 9, 2012 at 21:40 #

Looks yummy. I’ve been trying to trim the food budget lately and lentils have played a starring role at my house lately.

5. frugalfeeding July 10, 2012 at 15:17 #

It looks truly awesome and satisfying. I’ve not done anything like this for so long. I feel a little inspired :D

• matthew July 10, 2012 at 17:50 #

Woah! Thanks….Get to it!

6. Michelle July 10, 2012 at 21:30 #

This looks really good. I love falafel, but always feel a bit too guilty about all the frying. What a nice compromise.

• maker July 27, 2012 at 10:31 #

can’t wait to try this…it looks soooo good!

7. maker August 11, 2012 at 19:59 #

made this tonight! didn’t plan ahead enough to soak our dry lentils & couldn’t find canned in the store so used canned chickpeas that we roughly chopped before adding to the rest of the ingredients.
    so yummy! thanks for sharing it. :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Top 10s | 80twenty - December 7, 2012

[…] doesn’t love a good lentil loaf? And I mean that most sincerely. If you’re not into loafs, you’ve gotta get on […]