Turns out, making candied ginger is really easy. And much cheaper to make on your own as opposed to buying a small package in the store. Plus, once you make your own, you’ll have a long lasting supply of candied ginger that you can access at home, at the office, in the car…wherever!
I was never a hardcore fan of the store bought variety. I actually don’t think I’ve ever purchased a package of my own. But there was a quality about the flavor and the small, sugary slivers that I did enjoy. So that is what lead me to making my own.
The process is pretty simple. If you can boil water, you can make these candied ginger treats!
- Ginger Root (As much or as little as you’d like to make)
- Peel the outside layer of the ginger root off using the concave side of a spoon
- Slice ginger root into thin rounds
- Bring equal parts water and sugar to boil and add in the sliced ginger root. Lower the heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes
- Strain ginger from liquid.
- Place sliced ginger on baking rack and let dry for at least 5 hours
- Toss ginger slices in a bowl with sugar